- In March in order to complete a mini-author study on Eric Carle Grade 2 was exposed to a brief video about the author/illustrator’s process for doing his collage work. As they continue their Alphabet Adventure they will be introduced to the work of prolific author/illustrator Ed Emberley. They will watch the animated version of his re-telling of The Red Hen and then do an art class using Emberley’s techniques as explained in his Drawing books. Grade 1’s will do a similar lesson but this will also be tied in with the Caldecott Medal and how illustrations are important.
- Grades 4 and 5 have will continue their Dewey classification Discovery in the Library in the 500’s. The Math Curse will be the selected read aloud book and the students will also be challenged with a Math Trick (which is posted on the library website for them to print off.) Chameleons will be the subject of the other 500’s lesson and we will consult 2 non-fiction books. The read aloud will be Eric Carle’s Mixed Up Chameleon and the students will also view a video that shows how chameleon’s actually change colors.
- Grade 3 continue their Alphabet Adventure. R author Reynolds’s books The Dot and Ish are a great Segway into Illustrations and their importance as well as a brief introduction to the Caldecott Medal. William Stieg is the selected ‘S’ author and the read aloud is Sylvester’s Magic Pebble. Afterwards we will visit the newly available website Tumble Books using the library projector in order to encourage the students to visit the school website and use the many resources available.
- KG students are studying Transportation during the month of March. To support their learning, Ms. Fiona used the book Here Comes Grandma to encourage students to come up with the many different forms as transportation Grandma can take to get from Qatar to America. The read-aloud is followed by the animated video version of the story I’m Fast. The following lesson will also be about transportation – this time it will focus on transportation that works for us. The Read Aloud will be Tip, Tip, Dig, Dig and the video will be Goodnight Construction Site.
- Ms. Melanie collaborated with Mr. Steve and Grade 6 research on waste management, recycling, and landfills.
- Ms. Melanie collaborated with Ms. Lisa and Grade 6 on researching scientists.
- Mr. Islam worked with Grades 6-10 on ATL skills.